Lucky escape for Ford End homeowner after passers-by raise fire alarm

09th February 2018

Passers-by awoke the owner of a burning house in Essex in the early hours of this morning after smoke was seen billowing from the roof.

Firefighters were called to the home in Sandon Hill, Ford End at 3.15am.

No-one was injured as a result of the blaze, a spokeswoman for Essex County Fire and Rescue Service confirmed.

The B1008 is shut both ways between Back Lane and Church Lane, affecting traffic between Chelmsford and Dunmow.

The brigade spokeswoman said: “Passers-by spotted smoke coming from the roof of the property and alerted the owner who called 999.

“When crews arrived they reported the house was full of smoke and the fire was breaking through the roof.

“While a team of firefighters set about tackling the fire, another crew helped to salvage some items from the property to protect them from water damage. The road was shut so firefighters could deal with the fire safely.

“Firefighters worked extremely hard and managed to stop the fire spreading to the rest of the property. The property has suffered smoke and water damage, but the fire damage was limited to the roof space.”

At 6.30am, the initial firefighters were relieved by one crew which continued to dampen down and make the scene safe.

The cause of the fire will be investigated.

Two fire crews from Chelmsford and one from Braintree attended.