Smoke alarms alert neighbours to bungalow fire in Essex

08th February 2018

An Essex bungalow has been left “uninhabitable” following a major blaze – but firefighters say it could have been a “lot worse”.

Neighbours in Great Chesterford near Saffron Walden alerted firefighters to the incident at just after 5pm on Tuesday after hearing smoke alarms sounding in the property.

Crews arrived at the property in Four Acres to find flames and smoke coming from the garage and utility room.

Firefighters entered the home and managed to extinguish the fire by 6.20pm.

The property has been badly damaged by the fire and has been left uninhabitable.

Firefighters found the fire had started accidentally due to an electric fault.

Saffron Walden Fire Station watch manager Paul Curtis, said: “Incidents like this show how important smoke alarms are and we want to encourage everyone to check their smoke alarms are in good working order. This fire could have been a lot worse if the neighbours were not alerted to the fire by the smoke alarms.

“We can fit smoke alarms completely free of charge to anyone living in Essex so book a home visit with us now.”

People can book online at Essex Fire’s website or on 0300 303 0088.